English Electric Lightning F.2A XN769
The Lightning was Britain's first supersonic fighter with a maximum speed and climbing rate that exceeded everything but was limited by its short range and average weaponry.
The Lightning was the result of the P.1A which was designed after the demand in 1947 for a supersonic research aircraft. The first of the three prototypes flew in August 1954, and later showed supersonic capabilities thanks to two Bristol Siddeley turbojets without afterburners. It was clear that this type had the qualities of an interceptor-fighter and the name was changed into P.1B witch flew first in April 1957 with two Rolls-Royce Avon turbojets. After a long development period with 20 pre-production aircraft the Lightning F.Mk1 came in use in 1960 with two 30 mm. cannon's and two Firestreak air to air missiles.
An interesting addition to the museum's exhibits is the entire nose section, including the nose undercarriage and cockpit, of English Electric Lightning F.2A-XN769.
This exhibit was donated to the museum by Russell Carpenter of Eltham, England.
Second best only to having a complete Lightning, this exhibit adds a Mach 2 flavour to the Museum and represents the last of a line of the all-British fighter aircraft that had been famous since World War One.
The Lightning at the museum carries No.92 Squadron's red and yellow markings, which will be retained in order to represent the aircraft of Maltese fighter pilot Flight Lieutenant Mark Micallef Eynaud who flew the type with that unit in RAF Germany.