Douglas DC-3/C-47 Dakota
First flight by the prototype was made from Clover Field (now Santa Monica) at 3pm on 17th December 1935, and 32nd anniversary of the Wright brothers' first flight.
For half a century the Douglas C-47 and its numerous derivatives have remained the most versatile aviation workhorse the world has ever known, and can arguably claim the title of World's Greatest Aircraft. Born in brassy years of the mid-1930s, the DC-3 became the world's standard airliner, before donning war paint as the world's standard military transport. Both these and other roles have continued unabated through to current times.
The Museum currently has 2 Douglas DC3/C47 Dakotas.
The first one was built in 1944 and served with the USAF for 10 years before being donated to the Museum by the National Tourism Organisation Malta on 26th April 1996. It had been in storage at the Fire Fighting School Hal Far for 10 years. It is currently in storage.
In March 2006, Malta Aviation Museum acquired another DC3 from Medavia of Safi. Currently this aircraft is on display in the Main Exhibition Hangar. The intention is to restore it into a passenger DC3 airliner using parts from both Dakotas. The condition of the aircraft, which last flew 15+ years ago, is good on the inside but its exterior needs several repairs especially in the centre section.