The museum has a large collection of aviation related exhibits
The Wright Flyer
3 April 2005
MIA's chief executive officer Peter Bolech (right) presenting the sponsorship cheque to Ray Polidano, chairman of the Malta Aviation Museum Foundation.
This exhibit can be seen in the Main Exhibition Hangar
Peter Bolech, chief executive officer of Malta International Airport, presented a sponsorship cheque for Lm1,000 to Ray Polidano, chairman of the Malta Aviation Museum Foundation.
This followed the presentation to the museum by the airport of a scale model of the Wright Flyer aircraft used 100 years ago for the first powered flight in aviation history.
The model was the highlight of an exhibition held at the airport organised jointly by MIA and Air Malta to celebrate the centenary of powered aviation.
The scale model, an exact replica to the smallest detail of the original aircraft used in 1903, was purchased by MIA and constructed by model enthusiast Frans Zammit Haber assisted by Wayne Galea. Mr Bolech said the model was indeed an attraction at the air terminal, however MIA felt that its rightful place for permanent display was in the Malta Aviation Museum where it may be appreciated by the many visiting aviation enthusiasts.
Mr Bolech praised the initiatives of the foundation to keep alive the memories of Malta's rich aviation history.
Uniforms and Flying Kit
The uniform and flying kit of Wing Commander Ronald ''Ras'' Berry DFC is displayed close to Spitfire EN199 which aircraft he flew in Malta during WWII.
Other items of flying kits and uniforms are displayed at the Museum.
A small collection of aircraft propellers is on display at the Museum.
This propeller was used by a float plane built at Malta Shipyards
In the late 1920s instrument flying was in its infancy in most countries. The sole exception was Germany, whose Lufthansa pilot school already taught instrument and night flying as part of their standard training syllabus. Still much teaching could only be done by theory sessions followed by real flights accompanied by instructors. Edward Link, an American, designed an instrument flying trainer with a basic motion system, control forces simulation and instrument readings, controlled by a series of valves and bellows and a complicated arrangement of linking rods and levers. This may not sound very sophisticated, but for 1927 it was a remarkable achievement. The Link Trainer is in a form of a miniature aeroplane and consists of a hooded fuselage with wings, tail and control surfaces. It is mounted on four supporting bellows contained within a turntable mounted upon a square base. The four bellows work in pairs, being inflated or deflated as appropriate, in conjunction with a vacuum turbine, by means of a system of valves which are in turn operated by movements of the pilot's control column.
Manfred and Brigitte Junker, of Germany donated the Link Trainer exhibited.
A large number of flying instruments and similar equipment are also on display throughout the Museum.
Various aircaft cannons and guns are on display at the museum. Illustrated is a Hispano Suiza 20mm cannon which was installed on a Supermarine Spitfire aircraft